PORTUGAL RESIDENCE BY INVESTMENT
Portugal, one of the oldest nation states in Europe, is part of the European Union. It has a mediterranian climate, and is one of the warmest European countries. Investors looking for residency in Portugal can benefit from the following:
- Portugal has a developing real estate market, and very attractive real estate prices as compared to other European countries.
- You can live and work in Portugal.
- Many tax incentives, such as no wealth tax, no housing tax, and no inheritance tax.
- Visa free travel in Schengen states.
- After 5 years as a temporary resident, you get the permanent residency or citizenship of Portugal.
- You can include your dependents; spouse/partner, dependent children, and dependent parents.
- The processing time is currently around 8 – 10 months.
- Portugal recognizes dual citizenship
HOW TO OBTAIN RESIDENCE OF PORTUGAL?
Portugal has a Golden Residence Permit Program (ARI) as offered by their government, established in 2012 for the non-EU/EEA investors, which leads to a residency permit if they make a 5 year investment in Portugal. The country gives 3 investing options; capital transfer, property acquisition and business
The minimum amount to invest under the capital investment option is EUR 250,000 and it goes up to EUR 1 million.
- You can invest EUR 250,000 in support of artistic production, or in the recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage. If the funds are committed to a low population density area, the threshold will be reduced by 20%. OR
- You can invest EUR 350,000 for research activities of those public or private scientific research institutions which are a part of the national scientific and technological system. OR
- Invest EUR 350,000 for the acquisition of units of investment funds, or venture capital funds committed to the capitalization of companies incorporated under the Portugese law, with a maturity of minimum of 5 years, and 60% of the investment portfolio will be in companies that have a head office in the national territory. OR
- Transferring a minimum of EUR 1 million into a Portugese bank account, or in specially approved investment options.
Real Estate Investment
Under this option you can either:
- Make a real estate purchase of a minimum value of EUR 500,000. If the funds are committed to a low population density area, the threshold will be reduced by 20%. OR
- A real estate purchase of minimum of EUR 350,000 of an immovable property which is older than 30 years or location in an area of urban rehabilitation, and also rehabilitation of acquired real estate.
Under this option you can either:
- Create a minimum of 10 new jobs. If the funds are committed to a low population density area, the threshold will be reduced by 20%. OR
- Invest EUR 350,000 for the incorporation or increase of the share capital of a company with a registered office in Portugal, along with the creation of a minimum of five permanent jobs for a period of 3 years.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The Portugal Golden Visa is extendable to family members; spouse , dependent children, and dependent parents. The family members are also eligible for permanent residency and/or citizenship after 5 years of being legal resident.
HOW DO YOU QUALIFY?
You qualify for the Golden Visa program if you fulfill the following criteria along with investing in Portugal.
- Proof that investment funds are from outside of Portugal.
- No criminal record.
- Invest in any of the available investment options
- Pay the required application and processing fees.
- First time entry in Portugal will be on a Schengen Visa.